General outline. (8 hours)
- Heart disease and diabetes
- Obesity and impacts on the body
- Addictions (tobacco, drugs, alcohol)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STI’s)
- Connection to Traditional Teachings
- Journal prompt
These are suggested resources for teaching about diseases. None of this is prescribed and you are encouraged to bring in as much local knowledge and resources as you can.
What is Diabetes?
Page two of this document by the Indigenous Diabetes Health Circle describes what diabetes is, types of diabetes, and complications and risk factors.
Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs)
Possible Journal Prompts
Journaling is personal and can be related to any thoughts or feelings that come up as a result of this unit.
It can also be a good place to start to explore questions related to the end of course assignment for Physical Wellness.
Here is a journaling prompt, if you want one.
- What are your thoughts about the Five “White Gifts”?
- How does it relate to your study of healthy living?